The Kingsport Lifesaving Crew was the first volunteer Rescue Squad to be organized in the state of Tennessee. Through the efforts of Kingsport's Fire Cheif C. M. Keener, Julian Wise the founder of the first Rescue Squad in Roanoke, Virginia, the Kingsport Safety Council, and several local citizens they organized the Kinsport Lifesaving Crew in the Fall of 1947.
The first emergency call was answered on October 18, 1947. During the first full year, 1948-1949, of operation the crew responded to 140 calls. The crew operated out of Kingsport Fire Station #2 for the first 20 years of operation. In 1966 the crew moved into its current headquarters at 1800 Crescent Drive.
The first equipment of the crew was a Chevy Panel Truck, a resuscitator, and a first aid kit. The crew currently has 9 vehicles, 5 boats, and other specialized equipment.